Saturday, October 25, 2008

In The Mind

I've been thinking a lot about people. What they do, why they do it, and why the hell they even exist. I know this girl from my school who is quite non-conformist. And she doesn't give a shit about what other people think. I've never talked to her before, but I really like her. I watched the world go past, and came to this. Want a story? Here's one.

"My name is Ellena. I'm 15." she announced to the class.
"I have short brown hair and big glasses."
Some people in the back row laughed.
"I often get teased for my glasses, but I don't really mind, because I know if they got glasses, they would be the black, generic kind."
A girl in the front row started drawing love hearts on her file.
"I like photography, science fiction and painting. I get my inspiration from things I see, unusual thing, in everyday activity. Yesterday I saw a man with his coffee, sitting in a cafe. Rather than drinking the coffee, he merely looked at it, read his paper and left. Strange."
A boy aimed a paper ball at the bin and missed.
"I'm a vegetarian."
Some girl snorted.
"But I do not condemn others for eating meat, their body, their choice."
"Lately, as watching the world go by in front of my eyes, I've noticed something wrong with this place. We're all so similar. So clone-like. Walking around in packs, chatting over trivial problems. Where have our aspirations gone?"
The boy who threw the paper had fallen asleep.
"Have we all been sucked into this trail of endless lies? Promising us popularity, beauty and wealth for the sake of our personal happiness, do you believe them?"
"Yes." said a blonde-haired girl quietly while she picked at her nails.
"These lies have shaped our society, turning us into mindless replicas of each other, taking control of our own character."
"well I refuse to abide in these unspoken laws of social behaviour. Being different makes us who we are, and without that, we are nothing. Nothing but glorified robots, programmed to follow a set pattern of behaviour which is socially accepted. Well, I refuse to let me go."
The teacher started writing in her diary.
"Leave conforming to conformists, I want to be individual."
No one could tell if she was finished.
"Thank you." she said.
A few people clapped weakly but became bored and stopped.
"Miss Melrose?" asked the blonde girl.
"Yes?"
"Where are we going for lunch out tomorrow?"
"McDonald's." she replied.


Well, I hope you liked that and it made you think about something, anything.

Enjoy your life,
Sonomi.

No comments: